Friday 26 May 2017

Mini First Aid Course

Recently I was given the opportunity to attend a Mini First Aid course run by a lovely lady called Leanne.

This course was for 2 hours and covered the important basics of first aid for infants (0-1 year) and children (1 year- puberty).

My husband dropped me off for the course as we had a baby class afterwards in the same building. The fact he was off work meant that he could look after Alanna while I went on the course. That was really helpful as I could fully focus on learning.

I entered the room and was warmly greeted by Leanne, I was the first to arrive so we had a nice little chat before the class started. She had two cancellations and only 1 other lady turned up so we had a very small group which was actually really nice.

We covered so much information in the 2 hours but I felt that we covered everything in plenty of detail. We started off going through what to do if we find an infant or child laying on the floor, for example; check for danger, if clear check for a response, if no response call for help and check the airway then check for breathing. If they are not breathing then we were told start CPR by giving 5 rescue breaths and then onto 30 chest compressions and 2 breaths and continue to do the 30:2 until help arrives. We were also informed that it is a bit different for adults because we don’t need to give the breaths because adults can hold between 5-7 minutes of oxygen in their bodies but infants and children can’t. We were able to give this a go using the CPR dummies. The infant and child ones were very different so I think it was really useful to give it a go on each of them.

We also covered burns, wounds and bleeding, choking, febrile seizures, symptoms of meningitis, head bumps, breaks and fractures, a brief bit about how to deal with shock and what should be in your first aid kit. We were also advised to keep our first aid kits in the room of the house we spend the most time in. I spend most time in the living room so I will be moving mine into the Welsh dresser as it is easy to get to.


I would highly recommend Mini First Aid to everyone, especially parents or people who spend time with young people. I think everyone should do basic first aid anyway as it is very useful knowledge to have.

See the links below for details:

No comments:

Post a Comment